Hazardous materials and personal papers will be picked up from CHV members' homes for delivery to the District's safe disposal site. Here's what you need to do:
- Personal papers (medical, financial, utility bill stubs, old check stubs, etc.) should be put in paper sacks or cardboard boxes. These will be shredded at the drop-off site and viewed by the CHV delivery team to ensure they are destroyed.
- Chemicals and batteries (household cleaners, garden chemicals, alkaline batteries) put these in a sturdy plastic bag, or a cardboard box works fine, too, and make sure the containers are sealed and not leaking.
- E-waste (televisions, TV remotes, computers, monitors, modems, DVD players, cellphones, NiCad batteries, etc.) and other items not accepted in weekly home trash pickup. Remove your hard drive from computers you are disposing in the pickup. Wipe your address book and personal information from cellphones.
- NO SMALL APPLIANCES. Hand mixers, blenders, etc. can go in the regular trash.
- NO LARGE APPLIANCES (washers, dryers, refrigerator, etc.) Call DC 311 for bulk trash pick-up.
- NO DRUGS Over-the-counter medicines = regular trash. Prescription drugs = call or drop off at the Village for proper disposal.
If you need assistance, call the Village office at 202-543-1778 or e-mail email@example.com to arrange for a volunteer to assist with the drive. Please register no later than Thursday, August 4, and be sure to call or email the office to indicate what and how much you have to be picked up.